Sports betting is an online gambling form that involves placing wagers on the outcome of sporting events. For some, it’s a great pastime, and for others, a relatively stable source of income. If you fall in either category of bettors, you’re at the right place.
Here, you’ll find the most insane sports betting stats to give you the edge against bookies all through 2021. Sports betting may be among the most thrilling activities worldwide, but below, we’ll show you just how lucrative it can get.
Is It Smart To Bet On Sports?
Boosting your profits on sports betting requires players to follow several tips and tricks. Otherwise, you’ll end up being a ‘square’—the type of bettor that bookies make profits from.
1. Create Accounts With The Safest Betting Sites
The first thing to note about betting on sports is that finding the safest betting sites is crucial to getting the best deals. Ideally, you can have accounts with at least three sportsbooks to compare odds and make the wisest decisions. Some of our top bookie recommendations include:
2. Online Betting Accuracy
Several rules apply for betting accuracy, some about the numbers and bankroll, and others concerning the sportsbooks. Here are the essential ones;
- While each bet should range between 1-5% of your bankroll, you can reduce the amount to 0.5% if you’re not confident with the wager.
- Make sure to understand the money line. It usually comes with a plus or minus sign before, showing the amount you’ll have to bet to get a $100 payout. The team with the minus is the favorite, while that with the plus is the underdog.
- Also, learn about point spread and parlays betting. Point spread betting involves placing wagers on the gap between the playing teams’ final scores. On the other hand, parlay betting is making multiple wagers on the same game.
- Look for the best betting lines. That’s where having multiple sportsbook accounts comes in handy, as some offer better deals than others for the same event. That way, you get to minimize the risks for the exact wagering amount.
10 Interesting Stats About Sports Betting
Let’s take a look at amazing sports betting statistics and trends to help you win big in 2021, shall we?
1. Sports betting is over 40% of the gambling market
The most popular gambling activity, by far, is sports betting, making up 40.3% of the market—valued at $66+ billion. Casino gaming is also a big one, making up 32.1% of this industry, followed by the lottery at 13.2% and poker at 6.1%.
2. The sports betting market is valued at $203bn
Based on sports betting numbers from Statista, the market size is said to be $203 billion and is projected to go only upwards. You can expect the industry to be better with more lucrative odds and bonuses for bettors.
3. 33% of betting wins come from Asia
With Asia being the biggest betting market worldwide, it only makes sense that they yield the most wins. Betting on the continent is supported mainly by the sheer number of the population. Also, because most of their other industries are successful, they can spend more money on bookies.
4. People between the ages 35-44 enjoy betting most
People between the ages 35-44 engage in sports betting the most, representing 29.3% of all bettors. That’s because this age group has a more stable income source and can afford to spare some bucks. The ages that follow range between 45 and 54, at 25.4%.
5. Around 50% of US adults have tried betting
You’ll need to be 18 to 21 years old to access a bookie in the US, depending on the state. At least 50% of this demographic has admitted to participating in sports betting at one point in their life. And around 80% of them wagered within the past year.
6. The world’s leading sportsbooks include William Hill, MyBookie, And Ladbrokes
The rise in online sports betting led to most sportsbooks turning massive profits. William Hill, for instance, made an impressive $1.32bn revenue in 2020. On the other hand, MyBookie and Ladbrokes got over $750 million and $1bn from bettors’ losing wagers, respectively.
7. Esports betting is on the rise, with CS:GO leading by 53%
Like their events, esports bets are rapidly growing in popularity. The Counter-Strike: Global Offensive leads this sector, accounting for 53% of the esports wagers in 2020. Dota 2 events come in second, making up 35% of the total bets, followed by League Of Legends at 7%.
8. American football is the sport with the most bettors in the US
Almost all bettors have placed bets on American football at least once. That doesn’t come as a surprise, though, since 30% of the US population are die-hard American football fans. Other sports with a wide US audience include basketball at 24% and horse racing at 20%.
9. Sports betting has seen a boom since the 2018 Supreme Court ruling
Since the Supreme Court decided to legalize sports betting, bettors have placed over $57bn worth of bets. That has earned the US $4.1bn in revenues generated and a further 571 million collected in the form of tax. With these numbers recorded in only 20 states, a higher yield is expected in the years to come as more states follow this trend.
10. Online sports betting is safe
The most widespread myth about online betting is that it is not safe. While it’s understandable why bettors could have some doubts, given the scams encountered in the early years, that isn’t the case nowadays. There are designated bodies to regulate the market, and money transfer systems follow the strictest security protocols, like SSL encryptions.
Online betting can be very lucrative for those who do their research and familiarize themselves with the ins and outs of the market. That’s why we’re presenting you with all the latest and most relevant sports betting stats and trends. Now, all you have to do is start placing smart bets.
Hi! I’m Bryan, and I’m a passionate & expert writer with more than five years of experience. I have written about various topics such as product descriptions, travel, cryptocurrencies, and online gaming in my writing journey. The latter is one of my favorite topics, and you can find some of my premium casino content at Safest Betting Sites.