The adorable and exciting concept of speed-dating is something that we all have seen in movies, TV shows and even various music videos. But, contrary to popular belief, it is not something that only exists on screen, but is actually a very genuine thing. One that has literally led individuals to find their soulmates!
WHAT IS SPEED DATING?
But, for those who are unfamiliar with this concept, speed dating is a technique used by individuals looking to date someone, where they meet various people in a brief timeframe and their usual end goal is to locate a decent match that they would be willing to have a romantic relationship with.
Generally, at a speed date, you will have time somewhere in the range of 10 to 15 minutes in a cute area where you will spend your time trying to become acquainted with somebody enough to decide whether there’s any sort of romantic chemistry. Once your time is over with one person, you will think over how you feel about the individual and determine if you want to meet them on a second date or not. After which you have to move onto the following date and the procedure starts once more! Doesn’t that sound amazing?
QUESTIONS TO ASK ON A SPEED DATE:
To make the most of your speed date, and ensure that your potential new partner is not just going to be a waste of time and energy, following are some of the questions you can ask them on your speed date:
BREAK THE ICE:
When you meet new people, it’s already hard to get past the awkwardness as it is – which is why you need to talk about a few lighthearted topics at first to break the ice and get you both talking!
- Do you have any pets? Their answer to this question can probably help you determine if they’re caring, friendly and responsible.
- What did you want to be as a child? This will help you know more about how they used to be in their childhood, and could also let you discuss fun childhood anecdotes.
- Did anything good happen to you today? This is a good question if you want to impress the woman or man, because you will appear interested in knowing how they are.
- What shows are you watching these days? You could figure out whether you have common tastes in TV shows or not, and would get to have a lighthearted conversation.
- Are you into extreme sports? Whether you both are into these things are not, this would make for a very interesting conversation!
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ____?
Getting some information about your potential significant other’s most loved things demonstrates that you are keen on becoming more and more acquainted with what they like and hate. It gives off a very good impression.
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- What is your favorite cuisine?
- What do you like to order at fast food joints?
- Do you like sushi?
- What is your favorite dessert?
Questions such as the ones mentioned above can help you figure out similar tastes. What they don’t like when it comes to food can also help you both in picking out a place for the next date – in case it works out and you decide to date.
- What has been your favorite place to visit?
- What was your favorite part of that visit?
- Who do you like travelling with – family, friends, strangers or alone?
- Did you meet any cool people while you were in ___?
- Did you have any funny experiences?
- What places were your favorite to visit in ____?
Talking about travelling is one of the safest options ever. Nothing could go wrong. You can talk about favorite places to visit, what you experienced, what food you liked, what kind of people you met, etc. You can even throw in the infamous question of where would you go right now, if you could go anywhere in the world?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite TV show?
- What genre do you like?
- Do you like horror movies?
- Do you prefer action or romance in a movie? Or both?
- What podcasts do you like?
Talking about favorite things to watch on TV can be one of the most interesting conversations ever – especially if the two of you have similar tastes! If both of you hit it off – you can even watch new movies of your favorite genres when they come out, and have a super romantic cinematic experience!
- What is your favorite weather?
- What season do you like?
- Do you like the rain?
- What do you prefer – mornings or nights?
Questions such as the ones mentioned above can be ideal if you are at the so called “awkward stage” and are having trouble moving things along. Small talk such as this can make for a great conversation. You can talk about favorite weathers and seasons, and what you like and hate doing in a particular weather or a season. Once you get comfortable, you can even talk about how you usually spend your days and nights – and let the conversation flow from there!
GETTING TO KNOW THEM FURTHER:
Let’s be honest. Just knowing if you have common interests with someone or not is not enough to decide if you should date them or not. You need to talk about random topics, too. For that, we’ve compiled a list of some interesting conversational questions you can ask your speed dating partner:
- What do you currently do?
- Do you enjoy your current job?
- When is your birthday?
- What has been the best day of your life?
- What’s your family like?
- Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
TOPICS TO AVOID:
On a first date, or a speed date in your case, it is better to avoid talking about heavy and controversial topics, especially when you only have a few moments to chat. Hence, do not talk about politics, death, money, physical “flaws”, previous relationships, etc.
Now that you know what to talk about, go get your speed dating outfit and be on your way.