Covid 19 has left most countries under lockdown including the United States. The state of Texas has suffered at the hands of the disease. People are worried about the safety of their loved ones and trying their best to stay healthy. They want to know if Covid 19 (the coronavirus disease) can be caught from food or even their laundry. There are plenty of questions that come to mind. Mundane office as well as household tasks have become a cause of anxiety as people grapple the current pandemic. It is crucial to acknowledge that there is widespread misinformation about the disease and find out how you can properly take care of yourself and your loved ones.
As research into the virus continues, it is important that you take extra precautions. We know that Covid 19 is transmitted when we come into direct contact with an infected person through sneezing and coughing or touching of surfaces which have been contaminated. Moreover, the virus survives on surfaces for a few days. This is why it is crucial to learn how to sanitize business for Covid 19 safely. Simple disinfectants and sanitation tips will help ensure that you do not get infected.
- Do Not Touch Your Face
One of the most important personal hygiene tips that you need to follow is not touching your face. Make it a habit to keep your hands away from your face. It will protect you from coming into contact with the disease. This means that you should not touch your mouth, nose, and eyes at any cost. No matter how itchy you might feel, it is important that you avoid touching your face.
- Do Not Sneeze or Cough Into Your Hands
As mentioned above, you should not touch your mouth or nose. Therefore, you should only use a tissue when sneezing or coughing. Make sure that your mouth is covered and dispose the used tissue immediately. This simple tip will go a long way in ensuring that you do infect others.
- Social Distancing
The importance of social distancing cannot be stressed enough. Hence, it had to be mentioned in this post. While you follow the sanitation tips, you should also keep your distance. Stay away from others and maintain a distance of about 6 feet from people. Social distancing is all about keeping a distance from others. Governments across the globe have imposed strict measures to enforce social distancing such as by canceling all public gatherings, closing schools, and quarantining the sick. Besides maintaining a 6-feet distance from people, the following tips will prove useful.
- Conduct virtual meetings or postpone them altogether.
- Avoid shaking hands or hugging even if you cannot help yourself. It is always better to avoid making any contact.
- Avoid crowds at all times. This means that you should look for alternatives such as riding a bike to work rather than taking a bus or the subway.
- Wash Your Hands
Washing your hands is the best line of defense against the virus. The tip is mentioned everywhere. You have to wash, wash, and wash your hands if you want to remain safe. It is crucial that you wash your hands frequently using water and soap.
Lather an ample amount of soap and apply the soap for at least 20 to 30 seconds to ensure that all the bacteria and germs are eliminated. Then, you can wash your hands thoroughly with water.
Whenever you sneeze or blow your nose, you should immediately wash your hands. Even if you sneeze into a tissue, you should still wash them. The same applies for when using the restroom or returning home from work. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly when handling items, making food, eating, or after washing the dishes. If you have trouble remembering when to wash your hands, you should make it a habit to wash your hands as follows.
- Before preparing food or eating.
- Before and after you touch your face.
- After you use the restroom.
- After you leave a public space.
- After touching your pets or animals.
- After caring for someone who is sick.
- After you change a diaper.
- After handling a facemask.
- After sneezing, coughing, or blowing your nose.
- Use A Hand Sanitizer
Another important sanitation tip that you should keep in mind during the current pandemic is using a hand sanitizer. Get a hand sanitizer that contains a minimum of 60 percent alcohol to ensure that it kills bacteria and germs. Make sure to apply a decent amount of the hand sanitizer on your hands.
Cover all parts of your hands with the hand sanitizer and rub your hands together for at least 20 to 30 seconds until your hands are completely dry. However, if your hands have dirt, you should always wash them with water and soap. Moreover, it does not matter whether you use warm water or cold water as both are equally effective at killing viruses and germs as long as you apply the soap properly.
- Monitor Your Health Regularly
When it comes to sanitation, you should always monitor your health. Be alert for symptoms such as shortness of breath, cough, and fever. If you have to run the business or errands, you should make sure that you are healthy.
If symptoms develop, you will need to take your temperature throughout the day to monitor your health. However, you should never take temperature within half an hour of exercise or medications which lower your temperature such as acetaminophen. If the symptoms persist, you should follow the CDC guidelines.
- Clean the Office & Your Home
An important precaution that you need to religiously follow is cleaning and disinfecting the office and your home. Make sure to disinfect high-touch surfaces to lower the risk of infection. Use the cleaning products carefully and follow the instructions. There are certain precautions that need to be kept in mind such as ensuring good ventilation and wearing gloves.
To keep the office and your home clean, you must disinfect all high-touch surfaces. They include gaming controllers, remote controls, keyboards, tablets, computers, smartphones, light switches, toilets, taps, bathroom surfaces, handrails, chairs, tables, door handles, and kitchen counters.
To thoroughly clean the surfaces, you need to clean them with detergent or soap and water. Then, you can use a disinfectant that contains around 70 percent alcohol or bleach. Do not use vinegar-based products as they are not that effective. In some places it might be difficult for you to disinfect the space. Hence, you should get disinfectant sprays which tackle hard-to-reach areas.
- Do Not Wipe the Cleaning Solutions Immediately
To ensure that all the bacteria and viruses are killed, you should not wipe off the cleaning solution immediately after application as it would prevent it from getting the job done. Most disinfectant products including sprays and wipes have to remain wet on the surface for a few minutes to be effective. This is why it makes sense to carefully read the directions before using the products. You should consider using a wipe-able cover for electronics.
- Clean Your Clothes
If you want to avoid getting infected or infecting others, you must clean your clothes regularly. Although it is still unclear how long the virus can survive on fabrics, we know that many clothing items have metal and plastic elements on which the virus can easily survive for a few hours or even days. Be extra cautious and use some common sense. It is good practice to remove your shoes once you enter your household. Change your clothes and wear something clean, especially if you are coming from a crowded place.
- Do Your Laundry At Home
Make it a habit to clean your clothes, towels, and bed sheets regularly. It is time that you did your laundry at home. Do not mix your dirty laundry with clean clothes to minimize the likelihood of the virus dispersing through the air. Clean the clothing using detergent or soap and warm water. Make sure to dry the clothes completely before you put them in your cupboard. You should also disinfect or wash the laundry bag.
- Be Cautious When Using Laundry Facilities Outside Your Home
Sometimes, it can be difficult to do your laundry at home. You might not have a washing machine or a place to dry the clothes. Hence, your only option would be to use laundry facilities outside of your home. However, before you head out to do your laundry, there are certain precautions that you need to be aware of. These are mentioned below.
- Prepare the laundry before you leave your home to minimize how much time you spend outside of your home.
- Go out during a time when there would be fewer people such as early in the morning or late at night.
- Maintain a 6-feet distance from other people.
- If you have disposable gloves, you should wear them. Disinfect the machine before you use it and do not touch your face at all costs.
- If you are using an indoor laundry facility, you should wait outside until the laundry is done.
- Do not fold the laundry at the facility. Instead, you should fold it at home.
- Use soap and water to wash your hands thoroughly immediately once you return home.
- Disinfect or wash the laundry bag as well.
- Food Handling & Preparation
Although there is no evidence which suggests Covid 19 can be caught by people from food packaging, it always make sense to take precautions. It is possible to get infected by coming into contact with an object or surface that might be contaminated.
There is a greater risk when receiving food delivery or shopping for food as these areas tend to have a higher transmission rate. It is always a good idea to maintain good hygiene when preparing and handling food to prevent any type of food-borne illness from affecting you. The following food handling and packaging precautions will come in handy.
- Remote all unnecessary packaging immediately and dispose it.
- Take out the food from take-out containers and place it on a plate that has been thoroughly cleaned. Make sure to dispose the container promptly.
- A disinfectant should be used to wipe clean packaged items such as cans before you open or store them.
- Wash all unpackaged produce thoroughly with water including vegetables and fruits.
- After you have cleaned the food packaging and taken it out, you should immediately wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer.
- If you are preparing uncooked fish or meat, you should always use a separate chopping board for each.
- Make sure to cook the food at the recommended temperature.
- Pay attention to the product expiry date and store perishables in the refrigerator.
- Dispose the food waste in a sanitary manner to avoid any build-up.
- Clean the plates and utensils thoroughly.
- Use the Product Properly
Whether you are using a disinfectant or applying hand sanitizer on your hands, it is crucial that you use the product properly. The first thing that you need to do is wipe dirt off the surface. Then, use the disinfectant and wipe it all over the surface. Let the surface remain wet for a while in order for it to work its magic.
- Wear A Mask
Sanitations tips only go a long way. You cannot avoid wearing a facemask when in public. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) advises people to wear a face covering in public settings. Since it takes time for people to realize that they have been infected, you cannot put your life at risk by not wearing a facemask in public. The facemask will protect you from getting infected.
This post shares the best Covid 19 sanitation tips so that you can stay safe. Make sure to follow each tip to protect yourself and your loved ones.