Boiler heating system seems like a good option for every house. It can provide you with comfort and convenience by dispersing heat via radiators and heating water. Your boiler can be salvation, especially during the winter season. Let’s not forget that your boiler can also be the cause of your death.
That’s right. According to the latest statistics, around 40 people die every year because of their boilers in England and Wales. In most of the cases, it is a result of the negligence and incompetence of homeowners. If you want to keep your family safe, find out more about your boiler and how not to let it kill you.
Boiler installation can be very tricky. You need to verify local building codes, select the particular supplier, find the equipment to install it, etc..
Some handymen want to save cash, so they try to install their boilers by themselves. However, it is not a situation where you can be stingy. All boilers should be installed by a gas safe registered engineer. More than that, it is illegal to do it by yourself if you are an uncertified person.
This legal regulation was created to prevent risks with gas leaks. If you fit your boiler in the wrong way, it can cause the risk of carbon monoxide exposure. It is one of the main dangers. Carbon monoxide is tasteless and odorless gas, and it is not easy to spot. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include weakness, dizziness, vomiting, confusion, headache, and blurred vision. Gas poising victims usually don’t realize what’s happening, so they can’t help themselves. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause permanent brain damage, miscarriage, and death. So, it is better to pay a single fee rather than pay with your life. As you can understand, the best course of action would be to follow instructions and contact the local heating engineer fit the boiler.
Once you have your boiler installed, you need to take care of it. A lot of house owners recall the importance of boiler servicing only once it is broken.
It is crucial to arrange a boiler service every year. That’s how you can make sure your boiler is running smoothly and if it is still safe. Only an engineer is able to detect problems with your boiler heating system.
Regular cleaning of the boiler is very important since it collects dust. If you want to prolong the life of your boiler, ask the gas safe engineer to carry out the cleaning. Of course, you can clean it by yourself. However, if you are not a professional, there is a chance you will cause damage to your boiler. It can lead to a gas leak.
There is no need to call an expect every two weeks to clean your boiler. Annual cleaning will be just fine. However, you can also dust the outside of your boiler every week. It will prevent any additional dirt and dust getting in.
TIP: Did you know that there are grants available for households to get access to full boiler and central heating grants. Warma UK are a team of grant specialists who can help you access a free boiler grant.
Try to spot the warning signs
Strange smell coming from the boiler
As stated above, carbon monoxide gas is odorless. However, there could be a burning smell that you need to pay attention to.
There two special kinds of noises you don’t want to hear from your boiler – rumbling and gargling. If you hear it, it means that one of the moving parts in the system broke down. So, you will need to get somebody out to have a look at it. For instance, rumbling sound can be the sign of boiler kettling. If you hear it, shut your boiler down immediately.
Leaking means that an internal component in your boiler is broken and the pressure is too high. It can cause a lot of problems around the house since it leads to rust and corrosion. Try to spot black stains on the ceiling above or near your boiler.
It changes colors
The pilot light should remain the same all the time. This light ignites flame sensor, propane, and gas. It is not ok once it changes from blue to yellow. It means that there is not enough oxygen in the boiler. So, it can’t burn the fuel. More than that, it can also suggest that there is a carbon monoxide leak.