Contrary to what it may seem, the installation and setup of your best weather station is an equally important step as the choice of said station.It will be of little use to you to acquire a station with excellent features if you install it in a very bad way. In this installation guide we explain in detail how and where to install your best weather station step by step and according to your model.
The installation details of each model are explained in the relevant user manual at ahjoo website, but there are certain installation premises applicable to most best weather stations.
What Best Weather Stationare you Going to Install?
We are going to divide the stations into 3 different types:
- Simple stations
- Compact stations
- Professional stations
The installation tips described in this article are valid to obtain correct measurements both in analog stations and in automatic or digital stations.
Simple Best Weather Stations
This type of best weather station usually consists of a control screen and one or more thermo-hydro sensors. (Temperature and humidity).
They only have a compact sensor that has a very simple installation process and a total cost of between € 30 and € 50.
Factors to Consider
- Despite its low cost, we can obtain accurate measurements if we install our sensor correctly.
- In general, these sensors can be hung on the wall with a simple screw, but … Not on any wall!
We Should Avoid
- Natural or artificial sources of heat, such as fireplaces, dark walls with solar radiation, or the outdoor air conditioning unit.
- Places with constant shade, and protect our sensor from the direct rays of the sun with a roof or a protective housing whether homemade or purchased.
- Install our sensor at a minimum distance from the ground of 1m-2m.
- Do not move the sensor away from the control center more than indicated by the manufacturer. (With obstacles in between, this theoretical distance decreases.)
A good place to install your simple weather sensor is right under the roof overhang or window of your home.Since this will offer you some protection against constant rain, snow and insolation and it is a relatively discreet place and easy to access in case you have to change the pillar or review your sensor.
Assembly of Compact Best Weather Stations
There are hundreds of models of compact stations, as these are generally the best option for semi-professional data collection in your home.
They consist of a control screen that offers us a large amount of data. And from a meteorological instrument cluster ready to install outdoors.
What does the WMO Say?
The WMO (World Meteorological Organization) offers the installation guidelines for each meteorological instrument in detail, and advises to leave a certain distance between sensors.
Most sensors have more or less similar installation characteristics.
And without a doubt, nothing will happen to us for sacrificing a little precision in the data collected in exchange for a much lower price and great ease of use.
Factors to Avoid
- It is important to move our outdoor sensor away from any heat source, whether natural or artificial like a fireplace.
- We must not bring our sensors closer than 10m to a water body. Avoid areas of constant shade.
- We must move our station away from any type of obstacle such as fences, plants or trees, and whenever possible keep the station above the height of these obstacles.
Guidelines to Follow
- It is highly recommended to install our station at a minimum height of 1.5-2m. And if possible, on land without a slope and covered with a span of native vegetation.
- Before mounting your station, make sure that the distance between the sensor and the control screen is adequate for a good reception of the collected data.
- We recommend checking the station and its maintenance regularly, every 2-3 months. (batteries, rain gauge dirt, general wear …)
Installation of Professional Best Weather Stations
Professional best weather stations consist of a control screen and various separate weather instruments.
There are both home models and superior models designed to monitor the climate of a growing area, for example.
Thanks to the separate arrangement of the measuring instruments, we can install each sensor in its proper place.
What is the Right Place for Different Meteorological Instruments?
These installation tips are applicable to all meteorological instruments. Below we explain the assembly details of each instrument.
- The minimum separation between meteorological instruments should be between 1.5 and 2m apart. We will thus avoid that the sensors influence each other.
- The ideal terrain according to the WMO (World Meteorological Organization) is 25 x 25m, even though an area of 10 x 7m would be just as correct.
- The land should preferably be covered by a span (25cm) of native vegetation.
- It should be an area without a slope and without obstacles.
- Be at least 10m away from large bodies of water.
Anemometer and Weather Vane
The assembly of the wind speed and direction sensor is the most particular of all.It is very important to keep it away from any obstacle to avoid erroneous measurements, let’s see how:
- Install the anemometer and / or wind vane at a minimum height of 10m above the ground, above any nearby obstacle.
- Mount the sensor preferably on top of the mast. If not, you will have to move the sensor 3x away from the diameter of the stick or bar that holds it.