Home security can never be complete without IP cameras. They are convenient and flexible. Wireless home security cameras have become extremely popular and IP cameras have become the main choice of consumers. An IP camera or an internet protocol camera is a type of digital video camera which sends images data and receives control data through the internet.
These cameras are normally used for surveillance. Unlike CCTV cameras (closed-circuit television cameras), IP cameras do not require any local recording device. However, only a local area network is needed. Majority of the IP cameras are webcams, but the term netcam or IP camera generally applies to those cameras which are used exclusively for surveillance purposes and can be directly accessed from a network connection.
Some of the IP cameras need support from an NVR (network video recorder) to handle the recording, alarm and video management. Others would operate in a rather decentralized manner without NVR as the camera would record directly to any remote or local storage media. Axis Net eye 200 was the first centralized IP camera that had been released by Axis Communications in the year 1996.
The IP cameras of today are very advanced and are 100 percent wire-free. This means that Wi-Fi connections or a wireless power source such as a battery is used by them to function. If you are looking for the best IP cameras for home security, then this list looks at the 10 best IP cameras which can be placed outdoors and indoors. They come with smart features. So, let’s begin.
- AMSS Kamere: IP Bezbednosne Solucije
When it comes to IP Cameras for home security, there is no better choice than AMSS Kamere. They are European cameras which have been built with excellent in mind. The IP bezbednosne solucije cameras are just what one needs to ensure that their home is safe at all times. They are of high-quality and are extremely durable. One can easily use the cameras for long-term usage. The costs for odrzavanje sistema i softvera would be much less for AMSS Kamere products as only the best materials have been used to make the IP cameras.
- Easy to install.
- Offer fast and reliable connection.
- Extremely durable.
- One of the most affordable IP cameras out there.
- The design might not be for everyone.
- Arlo Pro: Wire-Free Pick
The Arlo Pro continues to amaze users. The camera is wireless as it has no power cords. It is considered to be one of the most versatile cameras that one would encounter. Clear picture is delivered whether it is dark, sunny or under artificial light for both the indoors and outdoors.
It offers super-simple installation process which makes the IP camera hard to resist. The motion sensor is hypersensitive which makes it the ideal choice for families. A base state would need to be bought to make the most out of the camera.
- Smart home integration
- Easy setup
- Outdoor/ Indoor Versatility
- Completely wire-free design
- Oversensitive motion detector
- Requires base station
- High price
- Wyze Cam Pan: Budget Pick
This small IP camera can scan an entire room within just three seconds. The settings can be adjusted using the Pan Scan feature which would automatically scan the area according to the input specifications. The motion tracking conducted by the camera is absolutely powerful. The camera follows all the action, even if a kid or dog runs through the room. It is one of the most affordable IP cameras out there. However, it would be tired down to a power cord which limits its placement options.
- Free rolling 14 days cloud storage.
- Smart motion tracking.
- 360 degrees coverage with the Pan Scan.
- Comes for an affordable price.
- Hit-and-miss motion alerts.
- Rough motion tracking.
- Wired power cord.
- Canary All-In-One Indoor Security Camera
Canary offers one of the most efficient IP security cameras out there. It combines the security features such as environmental sensors and a siren with the smart home security camera. Don’t be fooled by its small unobtrusive design. The canary security camera is packed with plenty of security features. This Wi-Fi camera even qualifies home owners with home insurance discounts from many insurers. The Canary All-In-One Indoor Security Camera can sense if the tub has been left running or if the fireplace is not fully out. Although, it would be great if had more power during the night as the night vision is not as effective and only keeps sight of things which are of about 20 feet in the dark.
- Directs the connection to emergency services.
- Alexa integration is available.
- Learning tech to adjust to user habits.
- Climate monitor, siren and camera.
- Buggy mobile app.
- Some of the features require subscription.
- Offers a range of 20 feet for night vision.
- Front Point Premium Indoor Camera
A combination of safety and style is offered by the Front Point Premium Indoor Camera. The camera even doubles as a Bluetooth speaker and it can connect with other users instantly with the help of the Front Point account using just a tap on the screen. The digital pan features allows the whole room to be scanned and it also offers enhanced zoom. This lets you keep an eye on which pet lounges on the sofa throughout the day.
Remote access and control is provided by the cameras-only self-monitoring plan that costs a few dollars a month and gives you two-way audio control. It can store up to 1,000 video clips, customized mobile alerts and motion detection. There is also the option to add the plan to a full Front Point home security system that has 24 hours monitoring and only requires the Ultimate Plan.
- 24 hours professional monitoring options are available.
- Stylish design.
- Adjustable motion detection settings.
- One-touch calling.
- 180 degrees field of view.
- Comes with built-in Bluetooth speakers.
- Costs more than other options.
- Has a required monthly fee for accessing the app.
- Ring Spotlight Cam
Keep an eye on the exterior of your home with the Ring Spotlight Cam. It can be installed just about anywhere. There are no limits to where the camera can be installed, except for a near power supply. There is no need to drag and secure cables. The wireless camera uses a rechargeable battery to run and there are solar options as well. There is also the spotlight which adds as an extra intruder deterrent.
Two-way communications are also provided. The next time when you are not at home, you can still talk to visitors using the communicator.
- Offers smart home compatibility options.
- Comes with motion-activated sensors.
- Has a built-in spotlight.
- No power cables to wrangle.
- There have been incidences of Wi-Fi connections problems.
- Has a short battery life.
- Comes for a higher price.
- Reo Link Argus 2 Wireless Security Camera
The best thing about the Reo Link Argus 2 is the fact that it works perfectly indoors and outdoors. It comes with a starlight night vision which provides users with clear images for up to thirty-six feet which is more than any other IP camera. Besides, it does this without any extra ambient light. The camera has a rechargeable battery and there are solar options available. Therefore, a lot of flexibility is offered.
Setup of the IP camera is easy. However, the camera would need to be set up on the mobile app. This could be a tedious task as it can be time-consuming to set up multiple cameras around the property.
- No base station.
- Free video playback with the Reo Link app.
- Comes with a built-in micro SD card slot.
- Email and push notifications.
- Motion detection delays.
- No web viewing capability.
- Wi-Fi connectivity issues.
- Amcrest Pro HD Indoor
Amcrest is one of the best IP camera providers out there and the Pro HD Indoor camera does not disappoint one bit. This wireless indoor security camera is a true beauty. Its tilt and pan function, variety of video storage options and easy setup make it one of the best cameras available for under a hundred dollars. However, the user manual provided is not as easy to follow and the camera lens rotation only offers limited view if the Amcrest Pro HD has been mounted onto the wall. But, it does come with free cloud storage and two-walk talk.
- Has a smart digital zoom.
- Two-way communication.
- Multiple storage options are available.
- Remote pan and tilt features.
- Lag live streaming feature.
- Has a confusing user manual.
- Limited rotation is offered when mounted.
- Amazon Cloud Cam
Amazon has rolled out its own Amazon Cloud Cam which uses Amazon Alexa to help you out. But, one cannot use some of the coolest features on the camera without having a Cloud Cam subscription. Video clips of twenty-four hours can be stored for free, but subscription is needed to support multiple cameras, set motion zones to limit false alarms or use person detection. Even without extra perks, the camera is still good for keeping an eye on the kids and the pets when one is away.
- Intelligent alerts which work perfectly with wearables.
- Viewing options for PC or mobile devices.
- Compatibility with Alexa, Fire TV.
- 24 hours of free video clips.
- Limited scheduling options.
- Mediocre night vision.
- Required Cloud Cam subscription for accessing full functions.
- Nest Cam Indoor
Finally, the Nest Cam is a popular option for high-quality sound, video and image. Even though one has to pay more for the high quality, it is completely worth the price. It comes with many smart functions and is compatible to home automation. There are other cameras which do offer similar features for a more reasonable price. Monthly subscription is required for using video recording features and many other features as well.
- High-quality design and aesthetic.
- Crystal clear two-way audio.
- Compatibility with Alexa and other Nest products.
- Offers great video quality
- Poor Wi-Fi connectivity.
- Required Nest Aware subscription for coolest features.
- High price point.
Bonus: YI Dome Camera
This powerful wireless security camera has an R2-D2 look. It is simple and looks like the type of tech that is trustworthy for staying in touch with kids and pets when one is not at home. It has an anti-noise filter that makes it easy for listening to the baby’s cries or for chatting with kids about their homework after school.
Another amazing feature offered by YI Dome Camera is unlimited free cloud storage. However, watch out if one has an Android user as there have been some reported issues with the Android app.
- There is no cloud storage limit.
- Anti-noise filter for clear audio.
- Motion tracking.
- Elegant design.
- Difficult setup.
- There are some Android issues.
- Limited night vision range.
Things to Consider Before Buying IP Cameras for Home Security
The thing about IP home security cameras is that they are vulnerable to hacking. However, the good news is that it is possible to keep hackers out. As can be seen on the website of Upstream ICT Alliance, encryption is supported by the nearly every security camera mentioned. It means that the data streamed through the camera would be protected from prying eyes. Here are some of the best tips to help maximize privacy of the security camera.
- Block the lens of the camera when it is not in use.
- Turn off the remote viewing when it is not required.
- Keep the firmware updated on the camera and Wi-Fi router.
- Make sure the home Wi-Fi network is secure.
- Purchase a camera from a recognized brand.