There are many electrical transformers that are manufactured to adapt to several functions and requirements. They might have a particular style and design, but they all follow the same concept of Michael Faraday. Faraday’s Law states that the interaction of the magnetic and electric field creates an electromotive force. In other words, changing the electric field will produce a magnetic one, and vice versa.
How Transformers Work
There are two main types of transformers that you can choose from, which are current transformers and voltage transformers. In this article, we will be discussing the main differences between outdoor voltage transformers and outdoor current transformers. Many are the differences between these two types, but the major one is related to how each transformer regulates the voltage. The voltage transformer is used to control the voltage at the secondary side of the transformer. While in the current transformer, the current is regulated on the secondary side. We can keep in mind that the product of current and voltage remains the same. However, if the current is raised or lowered, the voltage will change accordingly to preserve the value of power. Power is indeed the product of current and voltage.
In outdoor voltage transformers, the secondary current is linked directly to the primary current. The secondary current, on the contrary, depends on the voltage in addition to the load resistance. On the other hand, in outdoor current transformers, the secondary current could be short-circuited. In particular, the open secondary current can lead to a failure of the transformer. The current transformer, in addition to the potential transformer, is referred to as an “instrument transformer.”
Here Are The Main Differences
- In outdoor current transformers, the current and density can vary over a wide range. However, in potential or outdoor voltage transformers, they vary over a smaller scale.
- The primary current of current transformers has low voltage across it. While the current of voltage transformers has a full supply voltage.
- An outdoor current transformer can be applied in the circuit in series, while the outdoor voltage transformer needs to be used in parallel.
- The primary current of the outdoor current transformers is independent of the load. The one of an outdoor potential transformer highly depends on the load.
- The secondary current of outdoor current transformers is quite short, while the one of potential transformers is almost open.
- You can measure high voltages by small voltmeters by using an outdoor voltage transformer. Whereas high currents need to be measured with small ammeters and by using outdoor current transformers.
- The primary current is independent of the load, while the primary current of a voltage transformer depends on several external conditions that can affect the load.
- The primary current of a current transformer is linked within the power line. While the secondary winding supplies for the devices and creates a current that is constant within a small fraction of the current itself within the line.