The story of Amazon’s path to success is really striking. Probably, every entrepreneur who launched a dropshipping project was inspired by this story. However, it’s not the only case when dropshippers may recall this retail platform.
If you’ve already made up your mind about the products you want to sell and found trustworthy suppliers, it’s time to choose whether you’ll do dropshipping with your own website or with Amazon. The latter means creating an account there to sell goods, whereas dropshipping from your own site implies building and designing an independent online store on your own.
Which option is better? You’ll be able to answer this question after the brief report below.
The advantages of using Amazon as a platform for your dropshipping store stick out a mile. That’s why it looks so tempting to sell goods there.
- It’s easy to start. You just need to register on the site, add your listing and you’re good to go.
- You get access to the huge number of customers (about 200 million visitors per month).
- You don’t have to spend time and energy thinking out your marketing strategy.
However, if you’d ever thoroughly thought of what Amazon really is, one interesting idea could have crossed your mind. Amazon is a giant retail store in and of itself. Its goal is not to get you as a business partner, but to have your goods and make a profit. Thus, once you create a seller account there, you have to follow the rules which are in favor of the platform:
- You have to pay Amazon’s fees depending on your selling plan and type of products, which cuts down the size of your
- It’s not easy to implement the traditional model of dropshipping there on account of its restrictions and rules.
- Your store on Amazon doesn’t stand out from the others on this platform. You are limited to design and promote your shop there. There are dozens of accounts similar to yours. Therefore, unless you sell some unique items, it will be difficult to bring in many clients.
- Amazon defines how you can brand and show your products and interact with your customers. You have to follow, otherwise you’ll get banned. So, Amazon turns out to be rather your boss than your business partner.
- You don’t own your shop on the platform. It means that if your Amazon account had a considerable number of clients, but you decided to sell it for some reasons, you’d not be be able to carry it out and raise a decent sum of money.
- Amazon has limited shipping opportunities. Thus, you lose potential clients in some countries.
Dropshipping store vs Amazon
All the mentioned obstacles to dropship on Amazon might push entrepreneurs to launch their own dropshipping site. But at the same time they may stumble on two relevant questions. Could I compete with such a giant? What advantages do I have when dropshipping from my own store?
There are two main aspects which entrepreneurs consider as the disadvantages of dropshipping from your own site. However, they could turn out to be their strong points.
- You have to customize your store on your own. For many people this task seems so overwhelming and time-consuming, that they try to avoid it by turning to such platforms as Amazon. However, by spending a bit of your time on picking up some necessary skills you’ll be able to build an outstanding online store, which could be more efficient in attracting customers than all those sellers accounts of the same type. WordPress and WooCommerce plugin give you an opportunity to create such a unique shop by yourself. Also you can get your store made by professionals at short notice.
- You need a good marketing strategy to bring customers in. That’s the most complicated part of having your own online shop. But if you approach this problem properly, you can attract a huge audience, which wouldn’t be possible with Amazon.
Apart from that, by dropshipping with your own store you get several evident advantages over Amazon’s sellers
- You get full control of your shop and define your selling policy by yourself
- You don’t share your profit with anybody
- You are a 100% owner of your store. It means that you have a valuable possession, which you can put a price on and sell.