In a perfect world, our daily nutrients requirements would be met from a diet that is rich in different nutrients. Having such a diet would be great for our health and it would the risk of chronic disease significantly. However, that is far from the truth in the world of today. We lead busy lives where many of us do not even get the right amount of sleep, let alone the right nutrients.
Our diet tends to offer nutrients in small doses as we eat food throughout the day. It is our gastrointestinal tract (GI) that absorbs these nutrients very well. While on the other hand, larger doses might not be absorbed by our GI completely. Hence, it is vital to pay attention to what one eats. We must focus on including a variety of healthy foods in our snacks and meals.
However, it can be difficult to do so at times. Sometimes, we just cannot get all the necessary nutrients that are required daily from the food we eat. This is where dietary supplements come into place. They play a crucial role in helping us meet the daily nutritional gap as doing so would make a huge difference in our overall health.
When Should You Consider Supplements?
According to research, it has been revealed that chronic disease can be prevented with dietary supplements. Most chronic conditions are caused by oxidative stress. Thus, a combination of minerals and vitamins might help reduce the cause of the illness. More research is needed to determine whether dietary supplements can reduce the risk of dying of cancer or heart disease. But, dietary supplements can be effective in treating various health issues, for more information you can check out this green first review. It is important to purchase dietary supplements from a trusted supplement provider such as MindZymes which had been founded to address anxiety, adrenal fatigue, brain fog and high levels of stress.
Dietary supplements are useful for various reasons. These are explained below.
- Mineral or Vitamin Deficiency: It is possible for the blood test to find whether someone lacks an important mineral or vitamin. Dietary supplements can help ensure that mineral or vitamin deficiency is treated. It is important to consult with a doctor to correct the deficiency.
- Dietary Restrictions: If you are someone who prefers to eat a limited diet by choice such as if you are vegan or have a certain condition such as an allergy from certain food, then you might not be getting the required vitamins and minerals from food. This is where dietary supplements will come into place. They will provide you with the vitamins and minerals you need for a healthy living.
- Pregnancy: There are certain nutrients that help promote baby health and prevent any birth defects. Speak with the gynecologist/ obstetrician about pre-pregnancy for dietary supplements such as folic acid as it helps ensure the healthy development of the baby.
- Aging: As we age, our calorie requirements change. People tend to consume less food as they grow older and it leads to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. As our vitamin and mineral need change along with our eating patterns, it is vital to take dietary supplements to ensure that the required amount of vitamins and minerals are taken.
- Inability to Absorb Certain Vital Nutrients: Some surgeries and GI tract diseases like bariatric surgery impact the ability of our body to absorb vital nutrients from the food we eat. In such a case, dietary supplements might become necessary for a healthy living.
- Medications Which Lead to Deficiencies: There are different medications that have different effects. For instance, proton pump inhibitors for acid reflux might cause vitamin B12 deficiency. Discuss with your doctor about which supplements you need.
Multivitamin with Minerals
There are certain research-backed supplements which are good for your health and multivitamin with minerals is one of those supplements. It is a daily supplement that might offer health benefits if there is a lack of recommended fruits and vegetables from your diet. The reason why multivitamins with minerals supplements is a good choice is that they are considered safe. Moreover, they might even reduce the risk of cancer in men.
For instance, people that generally have a healthy and varied diet. It is generally recommended that they take a multivitamin with minerals twice a week to ensure that nutritional gaps are filled. Always choose the formulation which offers 100% of the Daily Reference Intake (DRI) as required for your age range and gender.
There is no denying that fish oil is healthy. Similarly, omega-3 fatty acid supplements improve your health. A diet is based on fish oil helps improve the health of our cardiovascular system and improves our blow flow. Fish oil supplements also think your blood which is why you need to speak with your doctor to find out whether you are taking any dietary supplements or medication that is making your blood thinner.
Although vitamin D is vital for healthy bones, many people do not get a sufficient amount of it. A simple blood test will let you know if there is a need for additional vitamin D. Besides assisting your body with calcium absorption, vitamin D also regulates the level of mineral phosphorus in your body. It helps promote healthy teeth and bones.
Besides just vitamin D, calcium supplements are vital to help prevent fractures and slow down bone loss. Calcium is crucial for the contraction and expansion of blood vessels and muscles instead of just building bone. It also helps with the secretion of enzymes and hormones, as well as any nerve impulse transmission in your body.
As you grow older, you will need more vitamin B12. Normally, vitamin B12 can be found in animal products like milk, poultry, and fish. It is possible that you might not get enough vitamin B12 as age. However, a vitamin B12 deficiency might lead to a greater risk for heart disease, dementia or bone loss.