You are what you eat. This phrase holds immense importance when it comes to your health, especially the prostate gland.
Prostate is located deep within the groin area between the penis and the rectum. It is associated with seminal ejaculation and reproduction in men. According to a Research carried out by the National Institute of Health. 1 out of every 9 men is susceptible to Prostate cancer within the US. While this is an alarming statistic, Men are usually advised to carry out regular prostate examinations with their doctor. On the contrary there are a lot of nutritionists that suggest that apart from regular checkups, it is essential to also keep your diet rich with the following nutritional value.
Essential Foods to help Prevent Prostate Cancer
Tomatoes are a great source of antioxidants, especially lycopene; which is a pigment that is responsible for a Pink and Red Pigment/color in fruits and vegetables. Lycopene because of its antioxidant properties plays an important part when it comes to preventing cancerous growth in our bodies. This essential antioxidant provides you with the necessary protection against radical compounds that can cause oxidative stress in our bodies and eventually lead to tumorous growth.
Considering tomatoes or red pigment vegetable and fruits in your diet will provide your body with the necessary amount of Lycopene. According to a research carried out by the National institute of Health, lycopene has been associated with reducing the chances of Lung and Prostate cancer by an astounding 30 – 50%.
Fish is a great source of essential polyunsaturated fats. This specifically includes the Omega 3s and Omega 6s.
Essential fatty acid especially Omega 6s aren’t synthesized by the body. This makes it important for you to look for external sources in order to overcome any deficiencies that you might face. In this regard, Fish, especially cold water fish plays an important part in fulfilling your body’s supply of essential fatty acids. Omega 3s serves as a natural anti-inflammatory. Anti-inflammation properties of fatty acids help fight against multiple kinds of cancers since tumors are propagated as a result of inflammation.
Research shows that essential fatty acids are closely linked with anti-inflammatory characteristics. While Fish is a great source of omega 3s you can also consider using a plant based source of the essential fatty acid also called ALA (Alpha Linolenic Acid). Nuts, Seeds and Olive oil along other plant based diets are a great source of ALA.
Berries, strawberries, Blackberries and bright colorful fruits are heavily concentrated with essential flavonoids such as Anthocyanin. Anthocyanin has been known for its anti-carcinogenic characteristics which includes and serves the following purpose:
Anthocyanin is an essential form of Anti-oxidant that helps in preventive and defensive inner body mechanism as Anti-carcinogenic and Anti-Toxic. According to a research carried out by NCBI, anthocyanin
- Increases the radical oxygen absorbing capacity of cells.
- Helps actively scavenge for reactive oxygen species or ROS that are also known as free/oxygen radicals. They usually build up over time and can lead to oxidative stress in the body.
- Anthocyanin actively helps in reducing the build-up of oxidative adducts in the DNA. This is essential in order to help prevent your body from entering an oxidative stress state.
- It is also known or its anti-inflammatory properties that are essential to avoid any inflammation with in the body.
Essential nutritional Anti-Prostate Cancer Diet:
Apart from the above mentioned specific diets it is also essential to keep a well balance nutritional rich diet in order to help prevent any inflammation in your prostate. In order to simplify it for you I have constructed a general overview of nutritional rich diets that you should definitely make a part of your daily routine in order to prevent prostate cancer.
- You should prefer having bright colored, especially red, pink and purple fruits and vegetables as a part of your daily diet.
- Prefer whole grain breads and pastas over White grain carbs.
- Instead of opting for red meat, such as pork, beef, lamb chops and goat, prefer fish and white meat and make it a constant and essential part of your weekly diet. Fish as mentioned above is a rich source of anti-oxidants that play an important part as anti-inflammatory and a preventive source of nutrition against Prostate Cancer.
- Add natural sources of Omega3s and 6s, through Olive oil, Nuts and avocados. Nuts such as almonds, walnuts and pecans are a great source of Plant based Anti-oxidants. This plays an essential part in boosting your immune system and prevents any inflammation within your body.
- You should reduce the amount of artificial sugar you consume. Artificial sugar comes almost in every packaged and artificially developed sweetened drinks, fruit juices and carbonated sodas. Reducing the amount of artificial sugar can help prevent inflammation in your body.
- Try avoiding diets that are rich in Sodium and heavy on Salts. You should limit the amount of salt that you add to your food to a very subtle amount. It is usually advised to avoid canned food since it contains processed salts and sugars. Processed food has usually been related to cause a higher risk of health problems than home cooked food.
You should effectively control your diet by dividing it into portions. You should keep a nice assortment of nutritionally rich vegetable and fruits as a daily intake in order to maximize your body’s natural defense mechanism. Prostate cancer can be prevented not only by considering the above mentioned diets as your daily source of nutrition but also by taking regular checkups with your doctor. It is essential that you keep a track of any inflammatory history in your family. Improve the nutritional count in your diet by opting for fresher vegetable and fruits. You can reduce the risk of prostate cancer by preferring home cooked food over processed and canned food. Keep yourself safe by ensuring a healthier diet and make regular appointments to your physician. Learn more on Preventive measures against Prostate cancer!