Have you ever wondered what happens to you if you get falsely accused of something like theft, murder, or kidnapping that you didn’t even know about? Are you aware of your rights and procedure that helps you in fighting this situation?
In this article, we will tell you some of the basic things that you should keep in mind if you face any of these situations. Having accused of something that you didn’t and even get punished for is the worst feeling in the world.
These types of accusations are common in cases like workplace bullying, child abuse, workplace mobbing in which a rumor is spread through a person and everyone believes in it.
What are the reasons for getting wrongly accused?
Now, if you think that people get wrongly accused because of some rumors and allegations that are put to them, then you are wrong. There are few reasons because of which people have no choice but to take the falsely accused person into custody like:
- When the person was at the wrong place at the wrong time. It usually happens on a murder crime scene where a person who tries to help the victim gets arrested by the police for being in the wrong place.
- Sometimes, the eyewitnesses wouldn’t be able to describe the facial of the criminal and a change in the detail would lead to a false accusation of a person.
- Maybe one of your competitors wouldn’t like you to win so they plan the whole thing just to set you up for the crime you didn’t even commit.
- If you have a bad history with the victim, then you would be taken into custody till the officials wouldn’t find any alibis that are in your support.
- The misleading forensic evidence would be responsible for your arrest. In most cases, if the police or the investigators find your DNA or fingertips near the crime scene.
What are the things that you can do if you get falsely accused?
According to criminal law firm gold coast here are few things that you need to do immediately if you ever get accused of a crime that you didn’t commit like:
1. Get assistance from the legal person
In these cases, the first thing that you should do is to hire a lawyer or representative who will fight this case for you. It’s better to appoint an expert to handle the legal matter as they are experienced and they know how things work here.
2. Confess everything
You need to say in front of the investigator or the judge exactly the things you see during that time. Tell your lawyer everything so that he/she will be able to prepare according to that statement. Don’t lie about the location or the time in the court house as it can backfire.
3. Gathering the evidence and alibis
If you are accused of something that you didn’t do and you are confident about it, then give the list of the names of the contacts which can be your alibi. Having a witness saves half of the problems and eyewitnesses are the most important in a court trial. You should gather some evidence which helps you in proving that you are innocent.
4. Listen to your legal advice team
If you want to get out of this situation safely, then you should listen to your lawyer and the defense team carefully. These are the ones who are professional in this type of situation and they will help you in winning the case and removing the wrongfully accusation.
These are the things that can help you save yourself from the situation when you get falsely accused. Now there are some things that you need to keep in mind while selecting the criminal lawyer for you.
What are the things to keep in mind while selecting a criminal lawyer?
Criminal lawyers are the ones who will help you in getting out of a crime. Of course, finding the best and skilled criminal lawyer is a hard thing to do but don’t worry we will ease things up for you. Here are the points that will help you in finding the best lawyer for you.
- Always check for the records of your lawyer. Find out how many cases he/she has won and what other people have to say about them.
- From how long the lawyer has been practicing the law and how much experience he/she has got.
- Ask some questions that are related to the case and other things and notice how the lawyer answers them. If you think that the lawyer answers them correctly and gives the right choices, then you can hire them.
- Make sure you choose a lawyer who is confident but not overconfident or arrogant. These things are the red marks in the lawyer that you should avoid.
- Search on Google for the best criminal lawyers. Every famous and established lawyer has an official page or reviews regarding it. You can also ask your friends or relatives and take their references.
Wrapping it up
With all the information that we have gathered, we can conclude that getting involved in something which you haven’t done is the worst thing to happen. However, we can still save ourselves by following the points mentioned above and be aware of the situation.
Also, it is very important to contact an agency which got the best lawyers and legal advisors for the situation.