While buying a mattress for your baby might seem like a very simple task, there are actually a lot of things you should consider before committing to a specific purchase. Infants and toddlers are still very fragile and far more prone to injury than an adult, so choosing the proper mattress for your child is extremely important. In the article below we’ll walk you through some tips and tricks in finding the right mattress for your baby. Please continue to read the article below for more mattress purchasing tips. We would also encourage to visit a Baby Shop Online, as some of the best deals for baby mattresses can be found over the internet.
The Top 10 Things to Look For When Buying a Baby Mattress
- Shop For Quality Above All Else – When it comes to the comfort and safety of your baby’s mattress you should really aim for quality as the highest priority. In other words, don’t cheap out and look for ways to cut costs at the expense of denying your child the most comfortable mattress possible. You should also avoid using a second-hand mattress for your child unless it is a hand me down coming directly from your own household. Second-hand mattresses risk exposing your child to communicable diseases.
- Aim For a Brand Name Mattress – We would strongly advise you to seek out a well known and highly reputable brand name when choosing a mattress for your baby. The reason why a brand name baby mattress is better, in this case, is due to the fact that brand names manufacturers are held to a much higher standard of quality and safety. If you purchase a generic or unknown baby mattress brand then you really have no idea what sort of mattress you are actually purchasing.
- Only Buy a New Mattress – When it comes to a baby mattress, it is ok to use a hand-me-down mattress temporarily so long as it has come from within your own household. Never use a second-hand mattress for your baby from an unknown source as you risk exposing your baby’s delicate immune system to communicable diseases, allergens, and even mattress fungus. Your newborn should be sleeping on a new brand name mattress that is high quality, not some old dirty hand-me-down that puts their health at risk.
- Buy a Mattress With a Warranty – When shopping for a baby mattress, be sure that you purchase one that comes with a list of guarantees from the manufacturer. For example, if your mattress is guaranteed to be highly stain resistant or not prone to losing its firmness quickly, then at least you know you can return the mattress for a refund if any of the manufacturer’s claims do not seem to hold up. Baby mattresses that are guaranteed for life are the most recommended.
- Buy a Mattress Cover With Your Mattress – When you buy a baby mattress, make sure that you also buy a mattress cover that fits perfectly. Bear in mind that the mattress cover should not compromise the quality and comfort of the mattress itself. Babies are prone to having diaper leaks, bottle spills, and other mishaps that could quickly ruin a mattress that isn’t protected with a stain or moisture resistant cover. Some high-quality baby mattresses come with a cover, meaning you don’t have to buy one separately.
- Accommodate For Growing Room – When purchasing a mattress for your baby always be sure to think ahead. It is much better to buy a mattress for your child that is too big rather than one they will outgrow very quickly. It is recommended that you purchase a mattress that your baby will fit on for at least 2 years. Most parents are shocked at how quickly their infant outgrows clothes, mattresses, and many other things. Save money by buying a mattress that will last at least 2 years or more.
- Firm is Safer Than Soft – When shopping for a baby mattress the number one quality you should seek out is a firm mattress. Soft mattresses are not recommended for babies as they can cause a baby to suffocate much more easily. If the baby rolls over into an uncomfortable position that momentarily blocks their airway, then it will be far easier for them to move their body to a safe position on a firm and flat mattress. This is especially important for newborns between 0-6 months old.
- Shop Online Instead – One of the great benefits to shopping online is that you can read customer reviews on baby mattresses. If a baby mattress fails to live up to its hype, then word will spread like wildfire across the internet and other prospective customers will be warned that a specific mattress should be avoided. On the contrary, if a mattress is particularly high in quality, then people who purchased the mattress will likely let other prospective customers know that their chosen mattress lived up to their standards.
- Antimicrobial Fibers – As we all know, baby mattresses getting wet is nearly a 100 percent certainty. Whether a baby throws up on it, has a diaper blow out, or spills their milk, your baby’s mattress is guaranteed to get wet. If the mattress doesn’t feature antimicrobial fibers, then the locked in moisture can start to turn rancid over time and draw in mold, bacteria, and other unhealthy microbes. Only purchase a baby mattress that is guaranteed against microbial buildup over time.
- Choose an Eco-Friendly Brand – Many of today’s leading baby mattress brands are completely eco-friendly. That means they were not manufactured in a manner that damaged the environment. It also means that they are bio-degradable to a specific standard. In other words, the mattress won’t sit in a landfill for 10,000 years as it slowly breaks down. Some eco-friendly baby mattress brands claim that they will bio-degrade with 10 years of being disposed of. Aim for a baby mattress that is friendly to Mother Earth.