You’ve probably heard of them before, but if you haven’t experienced it for yourself, then it’s time to give it a go. We’re referring to escape rooms.
These little rooms of fun will challenge you to think outside the box, collaborate with friends, family or co-workers, and solve puzzles, all under a ticking clock. While it might sound daunting to some people, these rooms are exciting for a range of reasons – particularly if you know how they work.
Let’s take a look at that right now.
How do Escape Rooms Work?
That’s the easiest part of the whole thing, as the name tells you all you need to know.
You need to “escape” the “room”.
Basically, you are locked in a themed room (such as a zombie apocalypse or a mystery museum), and have to search and solve riddles, crack passcodes, open all the locks and find hidden items so you can get out of the room – before the clock runs out.
Usually, you’ll be given an hour to break free. If you escape the room before the timer hits zero, you’ll win the game. If you don’t, you’ll be locked in there forever (jokes! You’ll fail but be let free).
You get to work in teams (usually between four to eight people) and have the luxury to choose between various escape rooms, depending on what the centre offers you.
If you struggle with cracking clues, you can ask for assistance from the centre, who will give you clues on how you can proceed to the next step. Although, that really defeats the purpose of the whole game.
Why Should I Try an Escape Room?
Despite the idea that you’ll be locked in a room, escape rooms are a very fun and popular activity.
You get to work together as a team, make fun of the situation, and find yourselves immersed in a complex puzzle trying to escape. It’s perfect for many groups and events, from birthday parties to team-building exercises.
Regarding the latter, many workplaces throughout the country use escape rooms as a way to help teammates bond, encourage teamwork fluidity and flow, and allow people to stand out by solving problems. We recommend it if you are looking to bring your workplace closer together while challenging them, then this option is for you.
How do I Pick an Escape Room?
If it is your first time, then always opt for the easiest option. Many centres (https://arcadiaescaperoom.ca/) offer various escape rooms with different degrees of difficulty. It’s best if it is your first time to choose the easiest room to escape, so you can get an idea of what to do (and how to win!).
If you’re a pro and want a challenge, then choose the most difficult option available. Over time, you can look to beat the best time, making a team record.
But you should always consider the funnest option available while thinking about what appeals to you the most.
Take, for example, if you’re into Indiana Jones and the mystery of artifacts. If there is an escape room where you have to steal an artifact from a museum or a temple and escape, then that’s the choice for you. The same applies for those interested in pirates, murder mysteries or zombies. Most escape rooms have details about the process, so you are well-aware of what you’re expecting.
Always choose one that will appeal to your sense of fun!
Got any Tips for Escaping the Room?
We have simple tips that can help you knock out your room in record time:
- Double-check everything in the room – Make sure you and your team go over all the items and puzzles in the room multiple times so you don’t miss anything – clues are hidden anywhere and everywhere!
- Rotate your search – If you can’t figure out a puzzle, let someone else give it a try. Rotating puzzles gives everyone a chance to break it
- Don’t focus on a puzzle for too long – If you can’t figure it out within a few minutes, handball the task off to someone else (like we mentioned above!)
- Communicate with teammates – Communication is key with teammates, so always make sure you are in constant communication with them
- Put all your items/puzzles in one place – You’ll easily be able to locate and use them when the moment calls for them
- Keep track of the time – Whether someone is counting down the minutes on their watch or asking the assistant for a time-check, keep track of the clock. That way you don’t waste time on specific tasks
- Don’t panic – Easier said than done, particularly when there’s a ticking clock above your head. But if you panic, you’ll lose sense of your mission and fail
Any Other Tips for Beginners?
One last one: have fun! Get your best friends, find an escape room that suits your tastes and give it a go – it will be worth it!