Social media and SEO: are the two sides of the same coin? Or are they to very different entities that have to cohabitate with one another?
The simple answer to both these questions is yes. While social media and search engine optimization might have seemed like different things, they work in tandem to deliver similar results: more traffic, stronger brand awareness, more sales and higher rankings. Using one over the other might still get you the results you want, but it won’t get you better results in a shorter time frame.
So how does social media and SEO work together? What makes them a valuable duo that should be utilized at all times? This blog breaks down what you need to know about search engine optimization and social media.
How Social Media affects SEO
Google determines rankings by the strength of its interactions with users. The more users visit a website, and the longer they stay on it, highlights that the site is a source of valuable content. That same logic applies to your social media. The more interactions on your profile, the stronger it becomes to Google and your followers, therefore, boosting up your rankings.
Utilizing both strategies will enhance your SEO campaign. You’ll already have a focus on bringing in customers from organic Google searches, while at the same time, drawing in users through your social media platforms.
Check out our guide below to see the benefits you can experience from this dual approach.
Here’s How SEO and Social Media Can Work for You
1- Link Building Through Social Media
- Google takes into consideration the number of links that go to a site when determining rankings. Links are one of those critical rankers, as they measure how many people visit your page (through the link) and how long they stay on the page when they visit. It can be as simple as placing a link (https://growmemarketing.ca/edmonton-seo) within a post or tweet. Building consistent links from your social media platforms to your website will increase your engagement and help move your search engine ranking ever closer to the top of Google.
2- Social Sharing Your Content
- With the ability to share content through social media, you can reach a wider audience than you would be able to with just plain old Google rankings. By allowing more users to interact and engage with your content, and allowing it to spread, over time, you’ll increase viewership of your platforms, thereby improving your rankings.
3- Optimizing Your Profile & Posts For SEO
- Remember that optimizing your social media platforms is a solid strategy to help build your SEO and optimize particular keywords. Whether it’s Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter, you should optimize the platforms for your SEO strategy keywords. It will work the same way as you would for regular search engine optimizations, making it easier for customers to find you no matter what platform they’re using.
4- Increases Your Brand Strength
- The more active you are with your social media platforms, and the more engagements you have, the more reliable and stronger your brand is. This, in turn, highlights your brand’s strength, which will help you bring in new customers. Users looking for reliable services or products will find you if they know it’s considered a reliable option by others.
5- Builds Brand Awareness
- If the strength of your brand is one thing, it’s awareness is another. In order to grow your brand’s strength, you have to be able to spread the word about it. That’s how social media works: it’s a platform that allows you to speak about your brand and get it out in public. By posting consistently (and to the right target audience) and interacting with your followers, your company name and logo can go viral. That means more traffic, more users and ultimately, more sales.
6- Builds Relationships With Clients
- When followers want to know more about your company, they tend to turn to your website for questions – and more visitors to your website can improve your search ranking. It also does another important thing: build a strong relationship with them. As users search your site, they’ll be hooked by what you are offering, and in turn, become customers. That transition is vital, and one of the key reasons you need both SEO and social media strategies operating at the same time.
7- Getting Online Reviews & Interacting With Them
- Google loves online reviews, as it’s a critical part of building your search engine presence. Thanks to the likes of Facebook, Google My Business, and to a lesser degree, Twitter and Instagram, users can now post reviews of their experiences with your business. This might seem like a daunting prospect, especially as you open up the chances of critical reviews that can damage your reputation. But there’s also the benefits: receiving high-quality reviews that bring out the best in your business and can bring more customers to your business. Better yet, engaging in both positive and negative comments is seen as engagement and can help strengthen your brand.
8- More Sales (Through Advertising)
- Just like Google Ads works to target people looking for immediate purchases, the same applies to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Linkedin ads. It’s a way to draw in users who want to make a direct purchase. It’s another opportunity, and another vehicle, in which customers have a chance to purchase your products or services. This approach will ultimately lead to more sales, and therefore, more profits.
Your social media platforms are not just another vehicle for customers; they’re a critical part of your overall SEO campaign. Building social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, will have a direct impact on your SEO, bringing in more traffic, increasing engagements, strengthening your brand awareness, and of course, boosting your rankings.
Make sure that you execute both strategies so that you can experience these fantastic results in a faster timeline.