You have indeed come across this fiber at some time and wonder what is Tencel fabric?
What is most striking and stands out about this new and modern Tencel fabric is that it promises to be top quality, eco-friendly, soft, and very practical for anyone. However, will this Tencel fabric be as good as they say? Find out here.
What is Tencel?
Tencel, also known as Lyocell, is a manufactured fiber that does not harm the environment because it uses it to produce it. We can obtain this Tencel fabric thanks to various environmental processes, and it is valuable and practical for multiple types of applications.
Until now, Tencel is one of the most sustainable fabrics since it can be recycled as many times as necessary, avoiding excessive use of water and energy and considerably reducing the creation of toxic waste.
You will be surprised to know all the applications this popular fabric has since it is perfect for making dresses, pants, formal wear, and much more. It is the future fabric since it combines excellently with other fibers such as silk, cotton, wool, and polyester.
How is made Tencel Fabric?
Tencel fabric is created thanks to the processing of eucalyptus trees. This organic process ensures the durability and sustainability of the market since it does not affect the environment and does not generate toxic waste that pollutes the earth.
The method used is called dry spinning, and it is mainly based on drying the pulp of eucalyptus trees with the help of other components. They introduce the eucalyptus tree pulp into the spinneret with some volatile solvent. It evaporates the solvent and solidifies the filaments thanks to hot air pressure.
After this, the created fibers pass through millions of small holes in the machine to make the final fibers of Tencel. These cellulose fibers are chemically treated and turn into the necessary threads for the final creation of the Tencel fabric.
Analyzing this process, many people wonder if Tencel is natural or not, and the answer may vary. Because it indeed comes from organic materials, but at the end of the process, the fibers are almost artificial. It is called regenerated cellulose instead of natural or synthetic cellulose.
However, the factories assure that even though the final product is artificial, it is still the best option for the environment. Mainly because it saves water and chemical products, reducing the creation of toxic waste pollutes into the environment.
On the other hand, Tencel fibers have proven biodegradable and compostable. This means that they do not pose a risk to the environment if the threads or fabric falls on the ground because they do not pollute or create any obstacle to the growth of terrestrial life.
Best features of Tencel that make it so popular
You may wonder why Tencel fabric has become so popular and why people choose it? This fabric has specific characteristics that make it the perfect option for many occasions.
- Offers a soft and light touch: Tencel manufacturing is so flawless that it almost feels and looks like silk. It is very fluid, smooth, and manageable, making it ideal for making all kinds of garments.
- Sustainable manufacturing: Unlike many other fabrics, the Tencel market is much more sustainable because we can use this fabric as many times as necessary. Reduce waste production by up to 98%.
- Pleasant sensation to the skin: Tencel ensures protection and care on any skin. You will not have to worry about developing an allergic reaction or rash because, unlike wool or polyester, Tencel does not irritate or mistreat the skin. This makes it a perfect fabric for manufacturing hypoallergenic sheets, bedspreads, or clothing.
- Durability and an unexpected appearance: Tencel is one of the most durable fabrics that exist today, so any product you buy will last you many years intact. It won’t lose its shape or softness after washing and won’t develop wrinkles from prolonged use. In the same way, the Tencel will always maintain a beautiful shine and great ease that will allow it to adapt to anything.
- Prevents excessive loss of color after washing: Tencel remains intact against one of the most significant drawbacks of any fabric, discoloration. Contrary to others, Tencel maintains its vibrant and shiny colors after any wash. It has an excellent capacity to retain the dye and withstand any modifications you wish to make.
Benefits of Tencel for the environment and the people
One of the most common doubts regarding Tencel is whether it protects the environment or not. Since many companies promise eco-friendly products, which end up being the opposite. However, this is not the case with Tencel Fabric.
Let’s compare the Tencel fabric with cotton fibers. We will find ourselves in front of a more resistant, hypoallergenic, durable material; that won’t lose its shape, the threads won’t come off, and it will keep its softness and color no matter how many times you wash it.
On the other hand, this Tencel fabric becomes the best choice for many people when the weather is starting to change changes and gets material that will prevent you from overheating and starting to sweat excessively.
In addition, it gives you the option to stay dry all the time as it has an incredible resistance to humidity. Forget about walking the streets with water stains, sweat, or any other liquid that could damage the fabric. Therefore, if we also talk about aesthetics, we find a material that will make us look presentable 100% of the time.
Tencel fabric has gained fame thanks to its versatility within the textile trade, its great capacity for reuse, and the many options it offers consumers. Without a doubt, it is the ideal option if you are looking for comfort, freshness, softness, and cleanliness in the same fabric.