A new advanced term for a storage system with high efficiency is termed as Drive in racking. It is used when shifting is required on regular basis in inventory. Its structure is highly different from other conventional racking. The previous structure used to have vertical strength mainly. Drive in racking provides more volume storage and space efficiency, with more easy access to pallets. In this, pellets are placed and they slide back on the rail thus creating more space in the warehouse. Drive–through racking is one where pellets are loaded from one side and unloaded from another side. This system does not require the use of multiple aisles. Opposed to this is Drive in racking, which is good for freezing applications and requires skilled operators. There can be a high risk of damage in this system hence safety guidelines must be taken.
Drive in racking is free of cross beams and aisles enabling maximum efficiency. Major features of drive-in racking include standard handling system, adjustable rails to have more space utilization, eliminating work aisles and exemplary with products of regular circulation. Drive in racking or drive in pallet racking is a perfect choice if one is looking for high density, cost-effective and efficient storage system. The new advanced design of drive-in racking is the perfect choice for cooling storage application. Drive in racking offers a wide variety of storage options and safety accessories. Several types of drive-in racking are available now some of which are:
- Single entry racks: it is standard Drive in a system where operator access on a single side only.
- Double entry racks: It is designed to access the rack from both sides
- Drive through: Drive –through racking is one where pellets are loaded from one side and unloaded from another side
- Pallet flows racks: Similar in concept to push-back rack is a Pallet rack System. After the racks are picked, next pallets will move forward for loading.usually,these types of racking systems are unloaded from front and loaded from back.
- Push back racks: It can be a great option for storage areas with less space. These rails are supported on an inclined plane and gravity moves it on trays along the railing.
- Space saver racks
- Flow-thru racks
Working of Drive-In racks
Drive in rack system stores the pallets that are brought into the rack system by an operator and then loaded on a rail. Pellets are then removed by the forklift operators from the exact same point where they were loaded and from there they move on. These systems are mostly placed against the wall or are closed from one end. Drive-in racking does not come with any potential threat or disadvantage however it cannot be a perfect choice in terms of selection and accommodating the rotation of inventory. Its main features are the back bracing, backstop, support arm, the frame, a top beam, and a ground guidance system The Drive-in racking system also have optional features such as Rail, back legs set, 10 pellets deep storage, and duty supporters.
Advantages of Drive in racking
Improvement in the utilization of warehouses using the drive-in racking system has many advantages:
- Temperature controlled usage: It can effectively be used for freezing conditions of storage, it provides more control over the temperature conditions.
- More density storage: due to more space available high dense materials can be easily stored.
- Saves stocking time
- Maximize the space in the warehouse
- More storage depth
- Limited storage rotation
- Last in and first out principle
- Can be used for goods of the same type
- Offers pushback pallet rack system
- Provides shelf which is suitable for large storage of products and goods
- On the support rails, the pallets are stored in depth, one immediately after the other, which makes high-density storage possible.
- The shelf structure have overall good strength
- As the racks can be arranged on both sides by various positions more optimization of space utilization can be effective.
Disadvantages of drive-in racking
There are many advantages for the drive-in racking but as its double-sided, and there are some deficiencies in the racks
- Sometimes a few products can be limited to be stored
- The high amount of risk involved while loading and unloading
- Products can be damaged if not managed properly
- Lack of accessibility to pellets
- There are restrictions on the choice of forklifts. Generally, the width of the forklift is required to be small and the vertical stability of the walk is better.
- Drive-in racking system is suitable for the access of bulk goods. But it’s better the goods with high first-in-first-out requirements, small batches and many varieties are not suitable.
Drive-in Racking safety
- Safe loading:
Safe loading is required for all types of rack systems in order to protect good and racks. Safety becomes more important when loading the pellets. An operator must enter and leave slowly. Before using the system it is necessary for the forklift to be aware of the racks dimensions.
- Safe unloading:
This process is similar to the loading process. The unloading step can be quite deep and the operator must take great care when reversing the system out. A forklift must avoid any collision with the frame.
It is highly important to ensure that driving system remains up-to-date and stable to be operated in stable conditions. Drive-in racking system generally requires less maintenance. Still, it is highly recommended to regularly check in order to see any damage.
Drive-in racking system is fully plugged structure in which the columns are fabricated. Distribution centers take advantage most from the drive-in racking system due to its number of advantages and product safety. It eliminates the need for picking aisles and loading. In general, it is capable of increasing capacity by 60 to 80 percent in the warehouses. It is extremely important to reconfigure the drive-in rack systems. However, there are going to be a number of disadvantages or limitations, such as the adjustment of lane width, which must be dealt with immediately.