People who make an effort to make the grass on their lawn greener and healthier tend to use huge amounts of pesticides. Not only pesticides but other chemicals are also being used. Unfortunately, many people do not realise that while your pet dog may not show the symptoms early, pesticides are very harmful for dogs. Pesticides are, in general, harmful to every animal. Especially in large excessive amounts, it can cause anything from a cold to a fever to seizures and breathing problems in dogs.

Dogs are exposed to pesticides even when they are indoors, for example when a pest control company comes to exterminate the cockroaches in your house. This is because the pesticides applied in lawns often make their way indoors. The pesticide chemicals are often stuck to the dog’s owner as well. Their clothes, shoes and even their hair and body is often contaminated with pesticides. Your dog is exposed to harmful pesticides in this way as well. As already said, some pesticides may be less harmful and some may be very deadly. It all depends upon the contents and the ingredients used to make the insecticide. Disolfuton, for example, is a pesticide used to protect roses. This pesticide is toxic to dogs at such an extent that it can induce vomiting, cause diarrhea or seizures as well. There are often warning labels given on the pesticide bag so make sure you check it. If it is toxic to animals, it will be mentioned on the bag.

However with greater awareness, insecticide producing companies are producing less to no harmful insecticides. Many veterinarians and researchers have discovered of ways to protect the dogs from harmful pesticides. It involves reducing down on the usage of pesticide. Even if you use pesticides, it is suggested to water your lawn immediately after so that the pesticide washes off of the plants. It is then safe for dogs to enter the lawn. Never leave fertilizers or pesticides on a dry plant and let your dog enter the lawn.

 

Symptoms

Your dog may often not show symptoms very early when exposed to pesticides. The symptoms show themselves after repeated exposure and some time. Here are a few symptoms you should look out for in your dog if you use insecticides:

  • Fever
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Anorexia
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Depression
  • Trouble when walking
  • Respiratory problems
  • Ulcers in the mouth

If you observe any or most of these symptoms, stop using pesticides immediately and seek veterinary care.

 

Diagnosis

Once you take your dog to the veterinarian and the dog is diagnosed with having excessive amounts of insecticide in its system, the vet will proceed to decontaminate the dog. Decontamination will be necessary, even if the toxicity kevel is low. You will need to tell the vet about the start of the symptoms which you noticed, the dog’s health history. You will also have to inform the vet of the type of pesticide you used so that the vet can better treat the poisoning.

However if you do not own a dog and want good quality pesticide, check out Preventive Pest Control. They sell pesticides to locations all over Arizona.